Friday, June 24, 2011

Pintuck Bag Mini Project

I found this sweet little book on my front porch two days ago. It's made by the same woman involved with the Alabama Stitch project books. It's clearly written, with room for your own interpretations. It definitely has a Japanese touch to some of the designs, but mostly for the pretty simplicity. You can make most of the projects with items in your stash and scraps. So I tried the Pintuck Bag. I figured I could make a couple of them as gifts.... let's see if they pass muster.

So here's what I found in my stash. Some contrast Sulky thread, my pintuck foot and some almost go together cottons. Since this is an experiment, I didn't worry to much about making it perfectly perfect.

The pintucking foot at work. And it worked well. I'm happy, as I have dreams of making a fully pintucked shirt that I saw in a Katherine Hepburn flooring ad.... I think I'll be able to manage it....

The pattern is coming together. I misread the pleats as being randomly stuck down. Turns out I should have left them in one direction or another.... but I don't mind, you'll see, it doesn't really matter. I tucked in both directions, following quilting rules so that the fabric didn't warp.

And now the almost finished bag. I backstitched the seam allowances together in the bag corners so that they stay put. I will also put a pocket or two inside before I seal it all up. I'm just trying to figure out the handles... It's going to take a minute.

Front and back with a hint at the top showing inside lining.

I also fussed most of the day with my V1240 dress. I had sewed a few things backwards and inside out, and spent most of the fussing unpicking..... but it's an hour from being finished.... tomorrow.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Vogue 1240


Here's the project. While I store some energy to unpick the collar of the Vogue 7979 and get ready for finishing. No the seams at the collar didn't line up at one spot. Rats.

Anyway, this pattern says it's easy, and it is. I had to turn off my logical brain, that's ok, it's small, and just follow the directions. The pleats are a little bit fussy, but I think this is mostly because this fabric is a bit stretchy and very slippy so it needed to be manhandled a little bit. It spat out pins like crazy, so patience was the key. No big deal. The pleats look a bit rough right now, because they are basted. I think I'll need to play with their lay before I put the collar on.

The collar consists of an interfaced two piece foundation and then two other pieces that fold and wrap. Internal finishing consists of French seams and rolled hems and felled seams.

This fabric was on sale, buy one get two free, so at $12 total, plus zip and snaps at 50% off, I'd say this is a $15 dress. Hopefully it won't look like a $15 dress when I'm done. A true georgette might be a better choice for this little number, but this satiny stuff is ok.

Today is a proper work day, so tomorrow for finishing it is. Then I'll need to find something to do to actually wear it, aside from gardening. Sometimes I like to freak out the neighbours. It's entertaining for me. :)


I'm almost finished this dress. I've decided to hand sew a rolled hem, and that is taking a little while. This fabric frays easily and doesn't like to be bent..... So two more nights at least to get the hem done, and all the last bits of finishing. Then I'll see what I can do about some proper photos.